Skip to main content

Reading Notes "B"

Reading Notes "B":


21. Bharata Returns:

Source. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913)
I think that they would not kill her because of the fact that she is a woman. I think that is a silly reason not to kill. In my story, it would not matter the gender the person would die. This also makes me think of in stories when they allow a bad person to live to be Nobel but then they get away and end up hurting many more people. 

22. Dasharatha's Funeral:

SourceThe Ramayana, translated by Manmatha Nath Dutt
I really like the line "Widowed in consequence of losing thee, this earth does not look graceful.". I don't know how but I would like to incorporate it into my story somehow. There are sacrifices during funerals. I can add this to my story as well. I also love that the 10 days of mourning were spent laying on the ground. I have to use that.

23. Rama & Bharata:

Source. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie 
Once the person you make a vow to is dead then you don't have to keep it is kind of odd. I like that they poke at priests calling them selfish showing they too are human and can be wrong. The message that is being portrayed as a bit faulty. I think that both have some truths.

24. The Sandals:

Source. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie
It is strange that sandals are the symbol of royal authority but in the jungle, he really could use the sandals. I have no idea how this could be incorporated in the story other than humor.

25. Anasuya:

SourceRamayana, The Epic of Rama, Prince of India, condensed into English verse by Romesh Dutt
I love the rhyming. I think that this is a much more effective way of storytelling compared to the many combinations of short stories. This condensed version is very clear and captivating. It doesn't focus on the names as much which helps with understanding the story.

26. Viradha:

SourceThe Ramayana, translated by Manmatha Nath Dutt 
Man-eating Rakshasa would be a great character to incorporate into my story. I want a dark character that is very creepy.

27. Agastya:

SourceRamayana, The Epic of Rama, Prince of India, condensed into English verse by Romesh Dutt
A heavenly bow that does not miss with a good shooter is an interesting aspect that could be used in my story. I like the rhyme scheme a lot too.

28. Shurpanakha and Rama

Source. The prose portion comes from Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie
Ravana a temptress is a great idea. She does not care that Sita is right there and it is hilarious. She wants to go further to eat her and his brother is a great story point.

29. Lakshmana & Shurpanakha:

Source. The prose portion comes from Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie
It is so funny that because he would not marry her, she needs an army of 14,000  rakshasas to kill the 3 of them. That would be humor/ intensity that could be added to the story.

30. Battle with Khara:

Source. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie
I want a monster to "swallow the sun" by emitting smoke that would be a great way to introduce a monster.

31. Shurpanakha & Ravana:

Source. The Iliad of the East: The Ramayana, by Frederika Richardson Macdonald
Crows eating warriors is good imagery. It doesn't matter how great you are 3 people against 14,000 are unrealistic. 

32. Ravana & Maricha

SourceMyths of the Hindus and Buddhists by Sister Nivedita
They target the woman/ love interest using a deer. This could be recycled into my story a person could be lured by a beautiful animal that is really a bad guy in disguise. 

33. The Golden Deer:

Source. The prose portion comes from Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie
They knew that there was a chance it could be a demon. It would be better to just leave it alone then. I want to make my character smarter.

34. The Chase:

Source. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie
Why would Sita not listen to reason? They made the female character too dumb.

35. Ravana & Sita:

Source. The prose portion comes from Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie
Sita is being so objectified. A king is trying to get Sita. This couple constantly has aggressive people trying to tear them apart. I like that they just are not sorry about how much they love and care about each other. I don't like that she got captured because of how dumb she is.

36. Jatayu & Ravana:

SourceMyths of the Hindus and Buddhists by Sister Nivedita
10 face and 20 armed creature would be an awesome character to add to the story. I like that nature reacted to the tragedy. I love when it rains as if the sky is crying.

37. Sita in Lanka:

Source. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie
This sounds like the greek mythology story where hades steal Persephone to the underworld. I like, unlike that story, she has a love that is fighting to get her out of the situation.

38. Rama & Jatayu:

Source. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie
I love that he is showing his emotion. I love that he is just in denial that his love is gone. I also enjoy that he is recognizing that all those around him die. A similar thing happens in Harry Potter. This is just a way to start actions or motivate within a story.

39. Kabandha:

Source. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie
Kabandha is like a phoenix rising from the ashes through his cremation and could be adapted to my story.

40. Shabari:

SourceValmiki's Ramayana, translated by Ralph T.H. Griffith, Books 1-6 (1870-1874)
I don't want to use a time warp in my story this is interesting. I do like that this random old lady knew they were coming and was waiting on them. That is very fairy tale-esque.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Comment Wall: Meme My website

Introduction To A Disney Life, Week 1

A Little Bit About Me: -Major: Bio Pre-PA -Minor: Studio Art -I am a junior -I studied abroad last summer in Italy -I Have the most wonderful boyfriend in the world. We have been dating for almost 8 years! We started dating at the end of 7th grade.(Yes we did win cutest couple in high school. (This was 2012 when we first started dating.) (This is not a wedding photo it was our 6 year anniversary) -I am on my third round of listening to Harry Potter in less than a year -All I listen to is Disney music -I am in love with musicals! (Les Miserable, Little Shop of Horrors, Annie are some of my favorites) -Fun Fact: I saw the movie Annie (1982 version) so many times as a child that I thought that they were my memories and would scream in public places "I WANT MY REAL FAMILY!"  -One of my biggest dreams is to have kids and give them the most magical childhoods possible: I really want to take my kids to Disney World as much as possible in costumes that I w

Week 7 Story: Your Worst Fear

Week 7 Story: Your Worst Fear Meme Authors Note: Source .   Indian Myth and Legend   by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913). I really liked the description of the monster in the tale, and it made me want to write a rhyme describing a monster in detail. I hope you enjoy!! How can one capture the horror? For this description is no snorer. I speak of a beast Who enjoys to feast. His hunger is only satisfied by the juicy flesh of many a human being. When mortal souls look upon him you know they are peeing. To give you an idea of his features that are so chilling. With simply a glance they could sure be killing. He is truly grim to behold. On him grows plenty of mold. Gazing into his blood red piercing eyes Could result in one’s demise. His skin was grey as ash, But he’s a messy eater so there is a red splash. With a mouth like a chasm, He uses his powerful jaws with enthusiasm. This mouth reeked of decay. This is from his rotting prey