Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Mahabharata Reading A:

Reading Notes: Mahabharata Reading A:


1. Vyasa & Ganesha

Source. The Mahabharata, A Summary by John Mandeville Macfie (1921)

This story is just to sexual for me to use in my story. I don't really want to talk about semen... I dislike how sexist this part is as well.

2. King Shantanu & Ganga

Source. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913). 

It may be interesting to switch up the characters so that the woman actually has power over the males. "she would wed the king, but said she must needs at once depart from him if he spoke harshly to her at any time or attempted to thwart her in doing as she willed " That is nice but then it is ruined by her killing her babies. It is strange. Not really appropriate for children's rhyme.


3. King Shantanu & Satyavati

Source. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913).

The miraculous birth is good but I don't like the fishy thing. Because she would marry him she wouldn't stink. I don't like that when she "became a virgin again" that is when her smell went away. That perpetuates a negative perception of people who are not virgins and could be harmful.


4. Devavrata's Vow

Source. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913).

I like that they use dialogue. It helps to break it up. There are not any aspects of the story that I would like to include in my story.


5. Bihisma at the Swayamvara

Source. Myths of the Hindus and Buddhists by Sister Nivedita (1914).

This story could be a good inspiration to the beginning of a story. I do think that I would like to draw from other inspirations.


6. Amba

Source. Myths of the Hindus and Buddhists by Sister Nivedita (1914).

This story could use a feminist update... The line ""But how, being a woman, can I achieve victory in battle?" I could rewrite the story to be more progressive.

7. Dhritarashtra & Pandu

Source. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913).

These stories suffer because of how they are told. They are in need of better word choice to express the tone better.


8. Kunti & Her Son

Source. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913).

I am not a fan of polygamy so I would not add that in my story. The spectacular beauty, because she is supernatural, makes me think of harry potter. That could be a plot to a story and add it to another story.  


9. Pandu & His Wives

Source. The first part is from Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913)

I think that the end needs to be broken up. It is too dense compared to the top.


10. The Sons of Pandu

Source. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913).

I like that aspect that the people could transform. They were attacked in their animal form. It reminds me of my brother bear. It may be interesting to mix these stories.


11. Gandhari & Dhritarashtra

Source. The first part is from Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913)

It could be cool to write a story over a mom of 100 children. I also like that the favorite became bad and evil. It shows what spoiling children looks like. It could be the foundation of a story.


12. Pandavas & Kauravas

Source. The first part is from Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913)

I like the simile in there that is something I would like to incorporate. 


13. Bhima & the Nagas

Source. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913).

The word distribution is good in this story. I like the poison aspect. It could be really fun to draw some inspiration from this story to add to my rhymes. 


14. Drona

Source. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913)

This story has good distribution in the length of paragraphs. I really like the two friends wanting their kids to be friends as well. It would fun if they become rivals.  I like begger and ruler. But I rather it be more strong hatred.


15. Drona Trains the Princes

Source. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913).

This is very tell not show. That is not very good storytelling. I wish it showed us how he was so talented.


16. Ekalavya

Source. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913).

This is awful. I can't believe they shot arrows at a dog's mouth. that is not ok. I like that he cut his thumb off and the warriors followed him.  I would write a rhyme about this one.


17. The Contest

Source. Mahabharata, Epic of the Bharatas, by Romesh C. Dutt (1898)

This is a good reference to look at. There are some really good rhymes in this one.


18. The arrival of Karna

Source. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913)

I like that there is some dialogue. This is not the syle I am going for my story but I think that it succeeded what it was going for.


19. Drona's Revenge

Source. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913).

The line "his chariot like to the fire which consumeth all things at the end of time. This itself could inspire a story.


20. Duryodhana's Jealousy

Source. The Indian Heroes by C. A. Kincaid (1921).

This makes me think of the Red Wedding from GOT. This would be GREAt to write a rhyme about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Comment Wall: Meme My website

Introduction To A Disney Life, Week 1

A Little Bit About Me: -Major: Bio Pre-PA -Minor: Studio Art -I am a junior -I studied abroad last summer in Italy -I Have the most wonderful boyfriend in the world. We have been dating for almost 8 years! We started dating at the end of 7th grade.(Yes we did win cutest couple in high school. (This was 2012 when we first started dating.) (This is not a wedding photo it was our 6 year anniversary) -I am on my third round of listening to Harry Potter in less than a year -All I listen to is Disney music -I am in love with musicals! (Les Miserable, Little Shop of Horrors, Annie are some of my favorites) -Fun Fact: I saw the movie Annie (1982 version) so many times as a child that I thought that they were my memories and would scream in public places "I WANT MY REAL FAMILY!"  -One of my biggest dreams is to have kids and give them the most magical childhoods possible: I really want to take my kids to Disney World as much as possible in costumes that I w

Week 7 Story: Your Worst Fear

Week 7 Story: Your Worst Fear Meme Authors Note: Source .   Indian Myth and Legend   by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913). I really liked the description of the monster in the tale, and it made me want to write a rhyme describing a monster in detail. I hope you enjoy!! How can one capture the horror? For this description is no snorer. I speak of a beast Who enjoys to feast. His hunger is only satisfied by the juicy flesh of many a human being. When mortal souls look upon him you know they are peeing. To give you an idea of his features that are so chilling. With simply a glance they could sure be killing. He is truly grim to behold. On him grows plenty of mold. Gazing into his blood red piercing eyes Could result in one’s demise. His skin was grey as ash, But he’s a messy eater so there is a red splash. With a mouth like a chasm, He uses his powerful jaws with enthusiasm. This mouth reeked of decay. This is from his rotting prey