Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Mahabharata Reading B:

Reading Notes: Mahabharata Reading B:


21. The House of Fire

SourceThe Indian Heroes by C. A. Kincaid (1921).

I'm glad that he figured out that everything was covered in oil but it could be an interesting wist for them to not notice and be more of a warning that you should question everyone even if they are supposed to be close to you.

22. Bhima & Hidimba

Source. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913).

This description is great, " He was of grim visage and terrible to behold; his eyes were red, and he was red-haired and red-bearded; his cheeks were of cloud color and his mouth was large, with long, sharp-pointed teeth which gleamed in darkness; his ears were shaped like to arrows; his neck was broad as a tree, his belly was large, and his legs were of great length." I also love the quote "I smell excellent food, and my mouth waters; tonight I will devour warm flesh and drink hot, frothy blood." I really like this story and would like to turn it into a rhyme. 

23. Bhima & Hidimbi

Source. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913).

I don't like she said that she would be his slave in order to be his wife. There were not any aspects that I would want to use in my story.

24. Bhima & Baka

SourceThe Indian Heroes by C. A. Kincaid (1921).

I don't want to write a story where the prize is a marriage to a girl that is too young with no choice. But.. I could use just the competition or more of a robin hood story where the girl was already in love with the best archer.

25. Birth of Draupadi

Source. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913). 

I like the use of comparison but the stories I am used to "red as the rose" I prefer this to the lotus. I need to add more descriptions of my characters in my story. 

26. Draupadi's Swayamwara

Source. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913).

This story is kinda a cliche. This is similar to the story of Brave. I could mix this, Brave, & Robinhood to create a new story. 

27. Wife of the 5 Pandavas

Source. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913).

I like how much dialogue there is. It makes it more of a play. I would prefer it not be in the O and thou style though. 

28. The Story of Nalayani

Source. The version of the story below is based on Notes of a Study of the Preliminary Chapters of the Mahabharata by V. Venkatachellam Iyer (1922)

This could be a really funny rhyme but not appropriate for children. It is funny she said it 5 times so she would get 5 husbands. It seems a bit progressive minus the virginity part.

29. Indraprastha

Source. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913).

This story is very generic this is good to see what not to do in a story. It doesn't have any originality to it.

30. Arjuna & Ulupi

Source. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913).

It may be fun to poke fun at the amount of exile that is in these stories. It feels very silly. So there could be some humor there.

31. Arjuna & the Apsaras

Source. The Indian Heroes by C. A. Kincaid (1921).

I like a man-eating alligator. That is fun! that could be a great inspiration for a rhyming story. I love she turned into a woman that is so sneaky.

32. Arjuna & Chitra

 Source: Rabindranath Tagore's play ChitraIndian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913)

This is a different means of storytelling. I like that it is like a play. It could be interesting doing this where the characters only talk in rhyme to each other.

33. Arjuna & Subhadra

Source. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913).

I hate this story. Brothers should not choose who to give their sister to. The stories are very old fashioned. I don't think that there is anything in the story I can use.

34. The Burning of the Forest

SourceThe Mahabharata, A Summary by John Mandeville Macfie (1921). 

I really like the line "The women in the party took so much liquor that their gait became unsteady, and they began to sport." It could be cool to do a climate change rhyme based on this story. The fire wants to eat the forest it makes me think of Australia today.

35. Maya's Palace

 The Mahabharata, A Summary by John Mandeville Macfie (1921)

T

36. The Pandavas Victorious

Source. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913).

This would be a great rhyme for my story. Humor and rhyme together would be great.

37. The Gambling Match

Source. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913).

This shows why you shouldn't gamble this could be a good thing to add to my rhymes.

38. Draupadi Lost

Source.  Mahabharata, Epic of the Bharatas, by Romesh C. Dutt (1898). 

I can look to this for some good rhymes. I think that this one was really successful.

39. Draupadi in the Assembly Hall

Source. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913)

A woman's fate is NOT up to their husband. I do not think that is ok to write a story like this today.

40. The Second Match

Source. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913).

This is the wishes being granted. She bails her husbands out when they did wrong doesn't seem right. This isn't a story I would want to add. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Comment Wall: Meme My website

Introduction To A Disney Life, Week 1

A Little Bit About Me: -Major: Bio Pre-PA -Minor: Studio Art -I am a junior -I studied abroad last summer in Italy -I Have the most wonderful boyfriend in the world. We have been dating for almost 8 years! We started dating at the end of 7th grade.(Yes we did win cutest couple in high school. (This was 2012 when we first started dating.) (This is not a wedding photo it was our 6 year anniversary) -I am on my third round of listening to Harry Potter in less than a year -All I listen to is Disney music -I am in love with musicals! (Les Miserable, Little Shop of Horrors, Annie are some of my favorites) -Fun Fact: I saw the movie Annie (1982 version) so many times as a child that I thought that they were my memories and would scream in public places "I WANT MY REAL FAMILY!"  -One of my biggest dreams is to have kids and give them the most magical childhoods possible: I really want to take my kids to Disney World as much as possible in costumes that I w

Week 7 Story: Your Worst Fear

Week 7 Story: Your Worst Fear Meme Authors Note: Source .   Indian Myth and Legend   by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913). I really liked the description of the monster in the tale, and it made me want to write a rhyme describing a monster in detail. I hope you enjoy!! How can one capture the horror? For this description is no snorer. I speak of a beast Who enjoys to feast. His hunger is only satisfied by the juicy flesh of many a human being. When mortal souls look upon him you know they are peeing. To give you an idea of his features that are so chilling. With simply a glance they could sure be killing. He is truly grim to behold. On him grows plenty of mold. Gazing into his blood red piercing eyes Could result in one’s demise. His skin was grey as ash, But he’s a messy eater so there is a red splash. With a mouth like a chasm, He uses his powerful jaws with enthusiasm. This mouth reeked of decay. This is from his rotting prey