Skip to main content

Week 9 Story: Her...

Week 9 Story: Her...





Who is the light of my life?
Tis my wife!

She can destroy all darkness.
Without her, my life is full of starkness.

My life before her was such despair.
Our kind of love is so rare.

Spending time with her is such bliss.
There is nothing better than her kiss.

For there is no better match.
She is the best catch.

We cannot escape each other’s love.
It is the kind that you don’t want to get rid of.

All I want is to spend my life with my other half,
But I am stuck looking at a photograph.

For I no longer get to hold my loved one.
To be honest I just feel done.

I thought we would always be together.
I will mourn the loss of her forever.

My heart has been mangled by this woe.
This kind of misery I don’t want to know.

Without her, there is no tomorrow.
There is only a pit full of sorrow.

I have these memories to hold.
They are worth so much more than gold.

I think back to the day we were married.
And how it pains me that you are now buried.

I look at your smile and long to hold your hand.
Instead, I get to hold your wedding band.

I miss your touch more than I can bear.
Losing you is the worst nightmare.

All I want is to wake.
This horrible loss I cannot shake.

I look at your empty chair in torment.
I cherished every moment we shared one hundred percent.

Our adventures were complete paradise.
I would not exchange them for any price.

I know I must somehow move forward day by day.
But my whole life just feels so grey.

Life with her was la vie en rose.
Now all I see are shadows.

I must live the rest of my life,
Even if I don’t have my wife.

Author's Note: 
     The quote" "Thou source of life and death, destroyer of all darkness, light of the soul, who wakest when all sleep, and dwellest in every heart!" from the story Hanuman & the Mountain (SourceMyths of the Hindus and Buddhists by Sister Nivedita (1914).) inspired me to write about a couple madly in love. I also watched the Pixar film UP today and thought it would be interesting to combine the two. I am in a long term relationship and one of our movies is UP, so this was pretty difficult to write. We started dating in middle school and ever since we have been inseparable. I definitely think it is possible to die from a broken heart. Our main man of the story is definitely doing his best to carry on but, the weight of his loss is almost or is too much for him to take. I really hope you guys enjoyed the story. I was trying to capture the agony of losing your other half. 



Comments

  1. Brittany, this poem is a great break from the prose a lot of other people are doing. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to lose my other half, but even just reading this poem got me feeling pretty sad, but that means you did a good job writing it, right? Thank you for sharing this with us and I hope more people get the chance to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brittany!
    I loved your poem. It is the first poem that I have actually read during a story telling week and it was so enjoyable I read it more than once. It definitely brought me to tears because I couldn’t imagine life without my girlfriend or the ones closest to me. It definitely reminds me to always cherish every second of every day with the ones you love. I thought you did a great job of eliciting a response from the reader, aka me. I hope to continue to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Brittany,

    I think this is the first poem I've read in this class. It was very well written too! That image from Up was a really nice touch. As I was reading your poem, I imagined myself in the shoes of Carl and that really added to your poem. I think that's a sign of how great of a writer you are! Excellent job and good luck with the rest of the semester.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Comment Wall: Meme My website

Introduction To A Disney Life, Week 1

A Little Bit About Me: -Major: Bio Pre-PA -Minor: Studio Art -I am a junior -I studied abroad last summer in Italy -I Have the most wonderful boyfriend in the world. We have been dating for almost 8 years! We started dating at the end of 7th grade.(Yes we did win cutest couple in high school. (This was 2012 when we first started dating.) (This is not a wedding photo it was our 6 year anniversary) -I am on my third round of listening to Harry Potter in less than a year -All I listen to is Disney music -I am in love with musicals! (Les Miserable, Little Shop of Horrors, Annie are some of my favorites) -Fun Fact: I saw the movie Annie (1982 version) so many times as a child that I thought that they were my memories and would scream in public places "I WANT MY REAL FAMILY!"  -One of my biggest dreams is to have kids and give them the most magical childhoods possible: I really want to take my kids to Disney World as much as possible in costumes that I w

Week 7 Story: Your Worst Fear

Week 7 Story: Your Worst Fear Meme Authors Note: Source .   Indian Myth and Legend   by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913). I really liked the description of the monster in the tale, and it made me want to write a rhyme describing a monster in detail. I hope you enjoy!! How can one capture the horror? For this description is no snorer. I speak of a beast Who enjoys to feast. His hunger is only satisfied by the juicy flesh of many a human being. When mortal souls look upon him you know they are peeing. To give you an idea of his features that are so chilling. With simply a glance they could sure be killing. He is truly grim to behold. On him grows plenty of mold. Gazing into his blood red piercing eyes Could result in one’s demise. His skin was grey as ash, But he’s a messy eater so there is a red splash. With a mouth like a chasm, He uses his powerful jaws with enthusiasm. This mouth reeked of decay. This is from his rotting prey